Share this blog...

Bookmark and Share

A blog about my 1989 Land Rover 90 (Defender). It's here so I don't forget all the stuff I've done to it and will also hopefully be a help to anyone else with similar issues!

Sunday 8 February 2009

New offroad wheels/tyres, jate ring, and alternator belt

I just wasn't right to still be running standard wheels that had been painted white with thin standard tyres! I managed to find someone breaking a Discovery off roader fitted with black modular wheels and 235/70/R16 Grizzly Claw offroad tyres. We did a deal and they are now fitted to my Landy - much better :)

As I'm going off roading tomorrow I thought I better make sure that I had decent recovery points front and rear "just in case". At the rear I have a pin style towbar so that is fine for the rear but at the front I have now fitted a jate ring on the front right hand chassis rail. As I tried to remove the standard recovery eye the old bolt head snapped off which at least meant I could just push the bolt stratight through and not have to undo the whole bolt thread ;)

Alternator belt - I noticed that the alternator belt was frayed so got a new replacement. Having had a look then my first thought were that it was going to be a right pain to fit as it is behind the power steering belt and looked like the fan etc would all need to be removed too. As it turns out it took less than half an hour to do :) Here is how I did it - Slackened off the alternator with the front and back alternator bolts and the two that adjust its tension. Slackened off the three bolts holding the power steering pump on and removed that belt. Slipped the alternator belt off the pulleys and then eased it over the fan so it could drop off. Then just did the opposite to get the alternator belt back over the fan (one blade at a time) until it was fully over. Then replaced PAS belt and tensioned it while tightening the pump mounting bolts. The most difficult bit was getting the new belt over the pulleys but I think that was because the alternator hadn't fully retracted on it tension adjusters.

No comments:

Post a Comment