Share this blog...

Bookmark and Share

A blog about my 1989 Land Rover 90 (Defender). It's here so I don't forget all the stuff I've done to it and will also hopefully be a help to anyone else with similar issues!

Sunday 15 February 2009

Hot start problem solved

Hot start problem. My Landy has been starting great when cold - I just give it 20 seconds glow plug preheater and don't touch the throttle until it fires which is normally a couple of turns. I had been worried about switching it off though as warm/hot starts seemed to take forever. I'd been out for about 4 hours (not switched car off at all) and then switched off to refuel. Got back in and it took ages to get going, was really worried it wasn't going to go at all!

Anyway, having read about somebody else having a similar problem and it being a blocked banjo bolt hole on the fuel filter I decided to take a quick look at mine. I removed it easily enough and in the side of the bolt there was what looked liked a tiny tiny hole that I couldn't even tell if it was blocked. My local Landy guy had mentioned before that these should ideally be drilled out to 1mm as apparently these engines run much better with that done. Armed with a drill and 1mm bit I did the mod and refitted the bolt. The Landy was cold and fired up fine as usual, phew!

I then left the car running for about half an hour until it was warm and switched off again. Crossed my fingers and tried to restart it and amazingly it fired up after half a turn It now consistantly starts straight up when warm with no preheater or throttle at all - fantastic!

Who would have thought such a simple thing would make such a huge difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment